A neuromuscular massage could prove beneficial for a number of people who have been suffering from chronic pains. They may have faced some accident or serious injury that could be causing pain in varied parts of their bodies. A regular neuromuscular massage is aimed to relieve all such pains and stress from your body. But what actually is a neuromuscular massage?
Commonly termed as NMT, a neuromuscular massage therapy is a specialized massage therapy that deals with neurological system and muscular system of a human body. It is a method of examining and treating varied soft tissues and muscles in a human body. This deep tissue massage therapy is focused on specific points of a human body and the method involves assessment of injuries and pains in soft tissues. Therapists follow a complete process with the aid of which they first have their hands on assessment that is gained through various foundation methods and evidences. Then a proper therapy is designed that involves massage techniques, stretching and other practices that would not only treat pains but would ensure prevention too. Massage therapists who are trained for neuromuscular therapy are given complete knowledge that enables them to manipulate and work on main muscles and connecting tissues for a balanced nervous system and full body function.
Neuromuscular Massage can treat varied problems:
A neuromuscular massage can effectively treat various soft tissue and muscle problems. Some of the common problems that can be treated include:
- Upper and lower back pain,
- Carpal tunnel syndrome,
- Calf cramps,
- Knee pains,
- Jaw pain,
- Plantar fasciitis and others.
Basic Elements causing Pain:
- Reduced/restricted flow of blood.
- Compression of nerves.
- Trigger points.
- Distorted posture.
- Movement dysfunction.
Approach for a Neuromuscular Massage:
Learn Client’s History:
Before applying any therapy or approach for massaging a client’s body, a therapist would first need to set up an initial interviewing session with the patient in order to learn detailed history of health along with current condition. It is important to gain a complete insight on lifestyle of a client along with level of stress that he/she may be facing in daily routine. This history would prove to be the foundation over which a specific massage treatment plan for any individual client would be designed.
Identifying Trigger Points:
A therapist would need to first identify target areas that he/she would need to work on for relieving pain around a client’s body. What are these points? Trigger points are the areas of hypersensitivity of muscles that are overstrained. Such areas are often blocked and thus hinder flow of blood and nutrients. This is the reason why you feel stress, extreme pain, weakness and fatigue around those areas. You may even be experiencing some pain in areas away from trigger points and such pains are termed as referral pains.Usually some kind of sensation or numbness is observed in cases of referral pains.
When therapist has identified problem/paining areas of your body, he will be able to design a therapy to focus on those points. For treatment of these points, a neuromuscular massage therapist would use his fingers, elbows and knuckles for treatment.
- Continuous and consistent pressure is applied for a minute over the strained or paining muscle with the use of fingers, elbows and knuckles. This consistent pressure would improve circulation around that area and would reduce stress or soreness of muscles and surrounding tissues.
- The basics science behind muscle spasms is that as we discussed that overworked muscles experience restricted flow of blood which in turn gives rise to formation and accumulation of lactic acid that causes soreness. This pressure therapy would actually disperse the accumulated lactic acid, thus offering a clean and free circulation through that area for oxygen, nutrients and blood to flow easily.
- Clients may experience some sort of discomfort and pain as they first get their bodies involved in a neuromuscular therapy. Although it will do you good as the pressure that therapist would apply would actually help in relieving contraction of muscles.
- If incase the pain becomes extremely painful, you should let your therapist know and he may need to alter the intensity of this massage therapy to make it much comfortable for you.
- Although surrounding area to that muscle or trigger area would be worked upon but some stronger pressure needs to be applied on specific muscle or point of problem.
After-Effects of Neuromuscular Massage:
Some clients may experience excessive soreness of muscles after this special therapy. The situation may be similar to what you experience after trying a new workout routine. This soreness however would be relieved in next few days and you will find yourself more relaxed.
Other Ways of Dealing with Pains:
Some people suffering from these pains often take pain suppressing pills however pain would only be reduced for a shorter time span and thus the best way of dealing with this pain is to work upon those contracted muscles or areas with a proper massage therapy.
Some high intensity pains are such that they may affect your complete lifestyle and may even keep you from performing all your daily routine tasks. For such pains, neuromuscular massage therapy can prove to be highly effective. This is by far the best thing that you can do to deal with all such pains and sufferings. A focused and pinpointed attack to your pain would not only give you relieve but may also prove useful in preventing from these pains to recur in future.