Motion, movement and rhythm is an integral part of life and human physiology. A healthy functioning body is one that produces balanced rhythmic impulses and these impulses are produced by inherent life forces of your body. A human body dynamics are directly affected by both internal and external environment. Our central nervous system is linked to all the organs and functions of our body. A buildup of experiences that are stressful negatively affects human body and creates a misbalance. It also affects functionality of organs and related processes. Continued stress would create a communication gap between your central nervous system and related processes that becomes responsible for health issues. Craniosacral therapists steps in to deal with those stressed areas.
What is Craniosacral Therapy?
Craniosacral therapy includes light and gentle touch of skull and sacrum and this gentle touch is a fine example of subtle therapies that are proposed to be the safest forms of massage and touch technique offering health benefits. A therapist listens to your body and identifies areas of stress and treat them with minor touch. Simple bodywork and gentle manipulation can influence rhythmic movement of fluid around your body especially around the areas of brain and spinal cord. This hands on healing therapy is focused on musculoskeletal system of your body that directly is related to your health.
Craniosacral Therapy benefits:
According to many people, they have used this therapy along with other different forms of treatments for health related issues. Some have used craniosacral therapy along with other acupressure, massage therapy, reflexology and other forms of relaxing methods and they have witnessed interestingly positive results for physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.
Craniosacral therapy is proposed to be one of the best alternative treatments for:
- Chronic pains,
- Excessive fatigue,
- Post-surgery recovery and other issues.
There would be no negative effects of this therapy if it is performed with sensitivity by a trained therapist. A positive attitude and self-acceptance would naturally shift in your body as you connect with a therapist for a reliable and powerful craniosacral therapy.
How does Craniosacral Therapy work?
Usually this therapy is based on a session with a duration of one to two hours where client is required to lie peacefully with complete clothes on. Light contact with touch of fingers is made at identified stressed points of a human body around head, knees, feet and torso. The touch would only be light with pressing of fingers and there will be no forces exerted on bones settings. Therapist is needed to identify client’s perspective, attitude towards problem and specific areas in their body to work upon for regain of physical and mental relaxation and health.
The main idea behind this therapy is to enhance flow within your body and for improvement of your central nervous system.This therapy is based on a fluid that flows from head to tailbone and work is done to ensure a rhythmic flow within your body. It serves to relieve restrictions from human body nervous system.
Who should use Craniosacral Therapy?
Craniosacral therapy is offered by osteopaths, chiropractors and massage therapists as part of their treatment. Because of researches still going on and there are still doubts and gaps within this method, therapists do not find it ethical to sell these therapies as a sole treatment. These therapies are included as one component of treatments by therapists such as Reiki. But there are therapists who ideologically believe in effectiveness of this therapy too.
Anyone can gain benefit from this therapy although there may be variations in results observed in each body. This therapy as it works on your brain proves really helpful for prevention against chronic health issues such as loss of memory, stiffness of body, and aging, immune imbalances, fibromyalgia, TMJ syndrome, inflammation and many different problems. Apart from that people suffering from different injuries can also gain help from this therapy especially those with a tailbone, head or other injuries.
It is even safe for children and during pregnancy. It soothes and calms nervous system of child and mother. It enhances emotional bonding and gives relieve from pre-natal stress. For children who are hyperactive and have sleeping disorders, this therapy proves really helpful in giving them a relaxed state of mind for a stronger body and improved functionality.
Craniosacral Therapy techniques for Beginners:
Here are some tips for beginners with this kind of work so that they can offer their clients most relaxing and beneficial therapy for recovery of health.
- First and most important requirement is to have proper education in the field. It would be best if you can earn and add a craniosacral massage therapy certification to your prominence as a professional therapist. Credible workshops also prove beneficial for your reputation and would open up employment opportunities in this field.
- Set up a comfortable massage room environment so that your client can relax and enjoy benefits of this therapy.
- Ask your client to close their eyes and take deep breaths once they comfortably lie on the massage table and are relaxed in the environment.
We will be sharing some effective techniques that a beginner can opt for with craniosacral massage therapy:
- Cranial Base Release: For this type of therapy you need to place your hands and fingers under the head and neck of your client. Your fingers would lie right under the base of skull. Head weight and gravity is needed for release. Subtle pressure is laid under the neck line to raise the face of client and to release muscles. Two different techniques can be used. One with palm facing upward and one with palm facing downwards. Choose whichever position is most comfortable one for you. Try to keep head and neck of your client stabilized and then unwind.
- Spheniod Adjustment: This is another popular technique that is usually taught to beginners in schools of learning therapies. This is related to a bone located behind the eyes and it is similar to the shape of a butterfly. It includes an area on its upper side called vomer that articulates with the occipital bone. The spinal fluid hydraulic action makes sphenoid rock with a sensation felt in your back and feet. Thus this area serves as a control that pumps pituitary essentials to create that kind of movement. If this function is not proper, it would directly affect your endocrine system. Sphenoid is adjusted by drawing thumbs down towards table while maintaining pressure until the resistance is felt. This technique involves complete focus and work is to be done purely with energy.
Craniosacral therapy is practiced by many professional therapists and the basic goal is to ensure proper flow of fluid through skull and sacrum so that all your body parts and processes function well. Application of light pressure in varied ways is given to clients depending upon varied conditions diagnosed by a therapist for a particular client. This therapy is popular as a complementing therapy in the field of medicine that works well in co-ordination with other therapies. Although it lacks plausible mechanisms and results may not be really measurable that is the reason why this therapy alone doesn’t work magically well. But for a relaxing touch therapy this field has effective techniques that would alleviate your mental and physical health.