Massage therapies and other bodyworks have been witnessed to show positive effects in dealing with symptoms and treatments of various diseases. The reason behind it is that an effective massage therapy works on a person’s body, mind and soul and thus leaves its positive effects that result in improvement in their well-being. Patients suffering from various chronic diseases are often suggested by their doctors for a regular massage session that helps in easing up their pains. The main idea is to understand severity of your condition and then applying a massage therapy that will benefit your specific condition. Similar methods can be adopted when dealing with treatment of a patient with Fibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia is a condition that is related to severe pains, memory loss, anxiety, mood swings and extreme fatigue. Though found in both men and women but this syndrome is more commonly found among women. Anyone suffering from this condition doesn’t have a threat to his/her life and the condition is manageable. No muscle or joint damage can be a result of this condition. However symptoms can be of extreme level and may trouble you a lot in your everyday life routine.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia:
This condition is a pretty common travelling and toughness of muscles and underlying tissues. This pain can travel through your joints, ligaments, tendons and to other parts of your body. It could be termed as a seasonal syndrome and thus severity and rise of symptoms can happen at any time of the day and may depend upon weather, sleep patterns, stress level etc. The symptoms however can last for a day or can prolong over weeks and months. Many people do witness extreme fatigue and exhaustion during this condition however the level of symptoms mysteriously reduce and are usually gone after some time.
Some common difficulties that people suffering from Fibromyalgia witness include:
- Reduced focus and concentration on tasks that need simple calculations and memory.
- Memory loss and confusion when doing simple common tasks.
- Chronic and widespread pain in all parts of the body around the four quadrants.
- Extreme pain around waist is a common issue and this pain is usually extended over months.
- Chronic pain at tender points of a human body.
Massage Therapy Benefits Fibromyalgia:
Massage therapy has been an ancient treatment method and still remains in practice. Various techniques are focused for treatment of a number of conditions and symptoms. Massage therapy could do wonders for pains and conditions related to Fibromyalgia. A number of different techniques can be used for treatment of some specific conditions and the results are impressive. Massage therapy helps patients in a number of ways. Here are some of the therapeutic massage session benefits for Fibromyalgia patients:
- Improved Circulation: One main benefit of an effective massage therapy is that it encourages circulation in human body that is related to the flow of nutrients in various parts. Not only that but it helps in getting rid of harmful toxins and excess of water in your body. With improved circulation, a patient suffering from this condition can witness relaxed muscles, improved joints movements and reduction in heart rate. Apart from that massage therapy encourages the production of natural pain killing chemicals in your body.
- Relaxed Body and Improved Sleep Time: After a massage session human body feels relaxed and relieved. So a massage therapy is recommended for Fibromyalgia patients who are sleep deprived and the best time for therapy would be before going to bed. Right before their sleep time their body will be relaxed and they will enjoy a deep sound sleep duration of which would serve as a time when your body will revitalize.
- Improves Memory and Clarity of Mind: During this condition, a person may suffer from reduced mental clarity in the form of confusion and thus could suffer from mental stress. This condition is improved with massage therapy that reduces stress hormones cortisol level and encourages endorphins that helps in relieving mental anxiety and stress.
- Relieve Stressed Muscles: Some of the massage therapy strokes work well for restoring strength of muscles. With effective strokes, tired muscles of a patient can rejuvenate thus giving him/her increased power.
- Relief from Headaches: One of the common and most stressful symptom of Fibromyalgia is severe headaches. As massage elevates the flow of blood, this increase in blood flow to a human mind can reduce headaches and boosts mental health.
- Relief from Depression: Any hormonal imbalances and depression related to the condition of Fibromyalgia is further reduced with the aid of a regular massage therapy session.
A frequent massage therapy doesn’t only work on reducing these symptoms but it could reduce all the related conditions particularly helping in treatment of patients suffering from Fibromyalgia. Benefits can be reaped over short and long term provided the treatment is properly given. It actually would make patients feel good and they will be able to carry out their everyday life routine with ease. Though in order to get long term effective benefits, strict compliance is needed from both therapists as well as patients. You need to sustain through a number of sessions and it could be hundreds of them as research reports. But over time with consistent efforts, you will begin to feel better.
Best Massage Techniques for Fibromyalgia Patients:
A variety of massage techniques can be offered for treatment of symptoms of Fibromyalgia however the intensity and type of massage usually depends upon your therapist’s understanding of different specific conditions that each individual may be suffering from.
Some of the most popular forms of massage therapies that have proved to work well for Fibromyalgia include:
- Swedish massage: This therapy includes a combination of kneading, sliding and friction related techniques that improve flow of nutrients to parts of the body that are trouble areas and are deprived from nutrients.
- Hot Stone Massage: This massage involves placement of hot smooth stones over various key points of your body and these are then used as massage tool for treatment.
- Trigger Point Therapy: This therapy is targeted to various paining areas of your body including some affected muscles and surrounding tissues.
- Passive Stretching Massage: Various stretching techniques are used with an external force applied to move your joints and muscles in a new position. Doing so would loosen up all the stiff muscles of your body.
- Myofascial Release Therapy: With gentle pressure applied on muscles and its related tissues, this therapy helps in restoring muscle’s strength and reduces pain.
Before opting for any of these massage therapies or other treatments for Fibromyalgia, it is essential to talk to your doctor. Your doctor understands your condition and severity and thus would be able to recommend you the best therapy or treatment for your specific condition. You can discuss various options with him that you are comfortable with and he will be able to recommend you the best forms.
Apart from a regular massage therapy session, physical exercise is also important on a regular basis. Massage therapy together with exercising have shown positive effects for treatment of these patients. You can opt for other relaxation techniques such as a yoga session.
After having a complete understanding of Fibromyalgia syndrome and how an effective massage therapy can prove beneficial for this condition, it would be wise to choose regular massage session as an alternative treatment for symptoms related to this condition. With the help of a regular massage session, you will witness a significant improvement. Not only your health will be improved with reduced pain, depression, anxiety, fatigue, stiffness but overall the quality and status of your life will be enhanced. So experience a regular massage therapy and heighten your health and well-being.