Like on all other parts of your body, your face also has some key pressure points and work over those points would not only work for stress relieve but a proper facial massage would revitalize your skin and will make it even fresher. Facial massage often is mistaken to effect only your external beauty but the truth is that it improves circulation within underlying tissues of your face making your skin brighter and reduces the effect of aging including wrinkles and excessive puffiness. Massage over your face gives your skin a lifting effect and make it firm. Massaging your face or getting it massaged would give you a relaxing and soothing feeling with all your stress relieved through work on facial muscles.
Benefits of a Facial Massage:
Let’s summarize some benefits of a facial massage therapy:
- Lifts your skin.
- Tightens your skin.
- Improves circulation.
- Reduces stress.
- Brightens up your skin and face
- Reduces the effects of aging.
Before Beginning the Facial Massage:
- Comfort is the prime consideration when you are offering any kind of massage to your client or to your partner. Make sure that the person to get a facial massage is comfortable whether sitting on a massage chair or lying on a massage table. It is best to lay on your back on the massage table and therapist to stand behind you.
- If your client is a man, you will be able to give an effective facial massage on a face clean shaved. So make sure that client has shaved before massage. If he has a beard or a moustache, no worries you can still massage the face well.
- A massage would really prove soothing if there is not much noise. Make sure that the spot where you will be doing facial massage is soothing and relaxing. Lights should be dimmed, reduced level of noise and a light music to set the mood.
Tips for Facial Massage:
- Start with cleaning of face. Use a gentle face wash to clear and clean the skin to be massaged before actually beginning any procedure over it.
- Facial massage may involve use of some products including a mild cleaners, oil or some non-scented lotion or cream to enhance the effect of massage. Use of gliding products would enable smooth movements through your fingers over the face and would enhance the relaxing effect of massage.
- Cleanse the entire skin of face with a mild cleanser and then clean it with warm water.
- Begin with jawline and forehead. Start with a stroke on both sides of your jawline through the forehead. Follow a slow rhythm with your hands to eyebrows and hairline. This step should be repeated 3-4 times.
- Now move your thumbs from hairline center to both sides with a little bit of pressure applied. Work down to the forehead and repeat this step 2-3 times.
- Now press your hands heel in forehead center with strokes that slide out and repeat this step 2-3 times.
- Then move to temples and bridge of the nose and make circular movements with slight pressure. Continue doing for some minutes and it would give soothing effect to mind of recipient.
- Next you move down to nose and using thumbs press tips and nostrils but do not press too hard over this area.
- Then apply a light massage over inner eyebrows with your thumb and slide out 3 times.
- Gently massage over eyelids following from inside to outside with your ring finger and repeat this step 2-3 times.
- Make you way now to cheekbones and chin area and apply gentle strokes from cheeks to chin. Over top of the lip area make circular movements and corners must be lifted slightly. Repeat this step 2-3 times.
- Using tips of your fingers, pinch the jawline.
- Earlobes should be rubbed with fingers and pinch the area outside.
- Next move to the neck area and apply firm strokes upward to lift the skin. Repeat this step.
- Move your way to cheeks again and then finish the therapy with light strokes over forehead. Slowly take your hands off from the face.
- Special attention must be given to forehead and ears during a facial massage as these parts are the most sensitive places over your face. Proper work over these areas would reduce stress and would enhance relaxation.
- Neck should be given long and firm strokes in the upward direction for lifting.
- Stimulation through strokes and pinching are requirements of a good facial massage.
- Make sure that as you work for a facial massage, limit taking your hands off from the face.
- Give special attention to pressure points on face including forehead, eyes and nose.
- If you find any signs or clues of discomfort from client’s hands, stop massage and discuss any technique that may be causing discomfort.
A proper facial massage would involve working well around the pressure points with a combination of gentle strokes, rubbing and other movements. Massage therapy over face would reduce stress and relieve tensed muscles giving you a brighter tone and fresh appearance of your skin. It improves circulation and your complexion would thus glow with this enhanced circulation. A soothing facial massage would make you slip in a sound sleep and if that is it; it is a perfect facial massage.