Your liver is responsible for removing toxins, bacteria, waste and other harmful substances from your body. Moreover, it also plays an important role in regulating blood sugar levels and metabolizing hormones. The liver is susceptible to external and internal forces that prevent it from functioning as it should. A poorly performing liver is bad for oxygenation and circulation. Certain techniques can improve your liver’s performance. One of these is massage therapy. Effective massage therapy will not only improve circulation but also speed up the detoxification processes.
Improve Liver Function with Massage Therapy:
Because the liver performs some of the most critical functions in your body, it should be performing at the peak of its powers. With the proper application of the right massage techniques, you can improve liver function and witness impressive results in your overall health and functionality:
- Liver massage reduces pain: This works particularly well for women suffering from severe cramps and pain during their menstrual cycle. Usually, period pain and related issues, like breast pain and back pain, are linked to a poorly functioning liver. Massage therapies have proved effective in reactivating liver function and thus relieving menstrual cramps and pain in the abdomen. Self-massage techniques can also alleviate these pains. Apart from improving liver function, massage also ups the performance of other organs.
- Liver massage relieves constipation: Constipation and indigestion are common complaints among the elderly, though most of us have experienced them at one time or another. They may sometimes be due to bad eating habits or stress or any other issues that affect the liver function and its ability to relax the abdominal muscles. Massage therapy brings welcome relief.
Simple massage therapies that can ease your indigestion
- Lie down on your back and bring your knees up, close to the centre of your chest.
- A light massage over your stomach would also work.
- Long firm strokes over the centre of your upper abdomen, where your liver sits, will also improve digestion issues.
- Believe it or not, you’ll find an important liver-function pressure point between your big and your second toe. Applying an anti-clockwise circular motion to this point will also improve your digestion.
Massage therapies focused on the liver
Three massage treatments you can use to improve the functionality of your liver:
- Self-massage techniques including simple stroking or rubbing,
- Massage workouts that are focused for liver function, or
- Visit a professionally trained massage therapist for help.
In order to perform a liver massage, you or your therapist should be well aware of where you liver is located in your body. Some techniques of massage for liver include:
- Lie down on your back with your left arm over your head so that your abdomen is more or less flat. Now put your left thumb on your sternum while it points towards your left. Your right hand should slide along your rib cage down to your navel. Now apply a gentle massage around your rib area while breathing deeply. This massage technique should be followed for some minutes. If you experience any discomfort, stop massaging immediately.
- Lie on your right and feel your liver area with your left hand. Your head should be slightly forward but make sure you are completely comfortable with the position. Knees should be bent. Staying in this position and very lightly pressing and massaging your liver and ribs with your thumb knuckle will relax tense muscles around your liver.
- Another effective massage is that you can do while standing. You just need to massage your hips with gentle movement of your hands. Make sure that your feet are apart around a width equal to your shoulder. Have your hands placed at your hips and make gentle circular movements for some minutes. This massage technique would massage your liver without movements of your hands on the body part.
- People who are suffering from any chronic liver disease should visit their doctor before opting for any massage therapy.
- Your massage therapist must be well aware of your health conditions and problems before applying any therapy on your body.
- Remember that some massage techniques may not be suitable for certain conditions so if there is any critical health problem avoid such intense massage techniques such as deep tissue massage or you may then be facing serious complications with your health.
- Before taking any kind of self-massage treatment, it is best to consult some health professional in order to avoid any kind of resulting discomfort.
Through gentle massage and rubbing particular areas of your body, you cannot only relax tensed tissues and muscles around your liver but would also be able to improve liver function that is one of the keys to good health. Stagnant functionality of liver can be because of many reasons. It could be stress, infection, allergies, use of some medicines and any disease. Proper liver function would not only cleanse your inner system, improve circulation but would also make you more active and energized. Function of liver directly influences functionality of other body organs and massage is one of the easiest drug-free method of reducing liver passiveness.